I've decided to develop a model to help them cope, and I'm using it mainly in language classes (you can read on it here) and in a weekly lesson of solving a challenges, that is connected to the syllabus, but it's wider and demand different way of thinking (you can read about it here)
The model is build from 5 steps:
1. Excepting the fact that I (the student) will not understand some of the reading material (or task)- and it's ok.
2. brain storming all the ideas related to the question/ task.
Read & summarize as we learned- high light difficult words/ expression, high light main sentence in a paragraph and summarize each paragraph/ idea.
3. Trying in a group to build a logic flow of the article/ story/ task/ question- out of the box thinking, giving associations and answers (we work on the concept that assumptions in this stage can't be wrong).
3a. sometimes I give access after stage 3 to use technologies and the net.
4. creating data base of all the ideas, answers and information on the board/ app/ other and making sense and order.
5. Giving the holistic order, Giving the answer/s and all the information needed.
Dialog on the subject.
All the posts and materials belongs to Sharon Michaeli- Ramon ©